Over 85 per cent of GP practices are providing a normal, or near to normal service, with the remaining 15 per cent treating urgent cases only.
As anticipated and already planned for, a small proportion of non urgent, planned operations (approximately 7.5 per cent) and outpatient appointments (approximately 8.8 per cent) have been rescheduled. Local NHS organisations have contacted patients to ensure they are treated as soon as possible.
Impact in north east:
• Number of rescheduled non urgent operations - 139 (approx 7.5%)
• Number of rescheduled outpatient appointments - 985 (approx 8.8%)
• Number of GP practices providing normal / near to normal service - 345 (85%)
• Number of GP practices treating urgent only cases - 60 (15%)
On average, there are around 11,000 outpatient appointments and 1,800 planned operations every day across the north east NHS.
Phil Bain, head of emergency preparedness and resilience at NHS North East said:
“The NHS is always very well prepared for any additional pressure on services, including any industrial action. All north east NHS organisations have made every effort to minimise disruption for patients during today’s industrial action.
“Every effort is also being made to ensure that those patients whose care has been affected, have their appointments rescheduled at the earliest possible opportunity.”
Liz Davies – senior communications officer
Tel: 0191 210 6482
Mobile: 07787 278511